Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Golden Arches


Ever since we got to Okinawa, I have been wanting to eat at McDonald's. That sounds crazy with all this new culture around me, but I had heard that McDonald's overseas were different than those in the states. I wanted to check it out first hand! It went against my whole health kick that I have been on this week, but it's something I wanted to experience. We walked into McDonald's and was greeted by a smiling Japanese female worker behind the counter. Think about the last time you walked into McDonald's back in the states. You usually you have to wait until the teenage kid gets done chatting it up with his coworkers to mosey on over to the cash register. The workers at McDonald's in Okinawa are so much more professional. It's like they actually care about their job. They were all dressed in nice clean cut uniforms. Chad just informed me that there was a worker dressed in a skirt wearing tall black socks with a McDonald's 'M' on it and heels. I wish I would have seen her! Anyways, so we walked in and I was looking up at the menu and there were only like 5 things with pictures, everything else was in Japanese with no pictures. Um.. how do you say cheeseburger in Japanese? Haha. Chad discovered that there was an English menu sitting on the counter.



I ended up getting a double cheeseburger and Chad got a Big Mac. The first thing I noticed when I got my burger was how much heavier it was compared to the ones in the states. It was a little better tasting and less greasy than the ones I have had before. Chad said his Big Mac tasted about the same, but just a little different. So overall, not a big change in the McDonald's food over here, however the customer service was totally different than what we're used to! I do see a couple items on the menu that are not found back in the states; we may have to try those out one day! The last thing I wanted to mention is that recycling is a big thing over here since we're on an island. So much so that McDonald's even has separate receptacles to put your paper and plastic in. I thought that was pretty cool and unique!




No comments:

Post a Comment