Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Month in Review

Here is a recap of our first month in Okinawa, key points of what we have done and learned. It's a pretty random list but it pretty much sums it up.
  • We lived in a hotel for 2 weeks
  • We haven't had a car for a whole month
  • Carrying groceries a mile back to our hotel is not my idea of fun
  • It is extremely humid here
  • I have trouble breathing while I run to begin with, add in the humidity... torture!
  • The island has HUGE bats that like to fly close to your head
  • We experienced our first tropical storm, it was wimpy compared some of the typhoons that I'm sure we'll get to experience!
  • We learned quickly what all the TCCOR levels mean
  • Nothing will stop a huge creepy spider from coming in your house!
  • I learned how to say Thank you in Japanese.
  • The beds that they loan you suck! So does the couch!
  • If you walk anywhere, you take the risk of getting caught in a down pour. I know this from experience. 
  • We have watched the first 5 seasons of True Blood since we've been here
  •  I learned how to use chopsticks
  • We can use coupons 6 months past their expiration date. I have found a new hobby of couponing. Send me all your expired coupons :) Watch out world, I'm your next krazy coupon lady.
  • I miss my Mom!
  • Skype and Magic Jack are amazing technology! 
  • Add at least 15 degrees to whatever the temperature is.
  • Did I mention not having a car for a whole month... sucks?!
  • If you go to the BX looking for something specific, most likely they will all be sold out. In our case it was shower hooks and envelopes.We learned how to improvise quickly. (Tip: Zip ties work as great shower hooks!) 
 That's all I have for now! Keep reading for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment