Sunday, November 25, 2012

Long Weekend


I wanted to do some exploring today so we set out to find the Ishikawa Kougen Observatory. I should have added in my last post where I listed things I was thankful for, that I am thankful for street signs/names. Here in Okinawa, there aren't a whole lot of street signs so you are given directions by landmarks. "When you see red graffiti on a building, take a left, go to the 3rd stop light, take a right, go 5 km down and you'll see a big turtle, take a right here" lol, I swear the directions are always something like that. It makes it hard to find places! We found the Observatory pretty easily. It helps when you've been on th
e island for awhile so you know where different roads are. After you park at the Observatory, you have to climb a bunch of steep stairs. There were a lot of them! We were definitely huffing and puffing by the time we got near the top. We may be a little out of shape! It was definitely worth the stair climb. The view was beautiful and you could see so far!

Since we were only at the Observatory for like 10 minutes, I still wanted to do some more exploring. At this point, we just drove until we saw a sign for something cool. I noticed a sign for Cape Manzamo ahead, so we followed the signs leading there. I do have to say that is one good thing about finding places, is if it's a pretty popular place, there are usually signs pointing in the direction to go all the way there. Cape Manzamo was very pretty! I am glad we went!



After seeing the pretty sights, we decided to head back home. We wanted to take Myah to the beach to get her out of the house! We took her to Araha beach, since that's the only beach around here that I know allows dogs. She doesn't really like the water, which I think is strange for a dog, especially a black lab! She runs away from it when a wave washes ashore.


That was about our excitement for the weekend. We did check out the International Festival that was going on right outside of our base on Saturday. I think we went at a bad time because there wasn't much going on, but I know they had a parade and different performances throughout the day. Then at night they were going to have a tug of war, which is a big thing over here! They had a lot of different food vendors with different international foods. Now the weekend is winding down and tomorrow Chad will be back to work! I think I will begin work on Wednesday, but it still has to be confirmed. I was able to get all my paperwork in last week, so just waiting for a couple things to get clear before I can start! I'm trying to enjoy my last few days of having nothing to do before I have to go to work everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment