Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

Chad and I spent our first Thanksgiving away from home this year. I am not going to lie, I didn't like it! I miss being surrounded by family! On Wednesday, we got to enjoy a Thanksgiving lunch that Chad's squadron put on. On Thursday, we successfully attempted to make our first Thanksgiving feast together! We only had a little 3 pound turkey for the 2 of us, which was perfect. I don't even know it if was considered a turkey, more like a turkey breast haha! I put Chad in charge of cooking the turkey and he did a wonderful job! It came out moist and flavorful! We also cooked my Grandma's mashed potatoes recipes. I was pretty proud how those turned out. Chad claims they taste just like my Grandma's! We also had corn, rolls, and gravy. I attempted to cook my Mom's broccoli cheesey rice but that didn't go so well. I'm not sure what went wrong there, she claims it's the easiest recipe in the world! lol Other than that, our Thanksgiving dinner was delicious! It turned out really well!

I'll end this post with 20 things that I am thankful for...

  1. My family – I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them! I am also thankful that I get along with my in-laws because I know not a lot of people do!
  2. My Mom – She’s my best friend who will always be there for me. I am so much like her in so many ways, it’s kind of scary!
  3. My husband – Chad is also my best friend who loves me unconditionally. I am not the easiest person to love yet he continues to put up with me every day!
  4. Electricity – We’ve had 4 scheduled power outages this month, so it makes me realize how grateful I am for electricity!
  5. My Home – A lot of people complain about base housing but I really love our home. We got lucky with our newly renovated place and therefore I am thankful!
  6. Brittany – We’ve been best friends forever. I am thankful to have someone in my life who understands me.
  7. My health – Not everyone is healthy, so I am thankful that I am!
  8. Beachbody – Without being introduced to this wonderful company who makes all sorts of work out programs I would probably be 200 pounds now. I remember laughing at my Mom when she bought like 3 different workouts. Little did we know, it changed our lives and I am thankful for that.
  9. Airplanes – I am thankful for this wonderful form of transportation. I think in the last year, I have been on an airplane more times than in my entire life. I can’t wait until I am on one again!
  10. Our Armed Forces – I am thankful that there are people willing to fight for our freedom every single day. It truly takes someone special to do that.
  11. The Air Force – Even though I truly hate it at times, it has provided for our family many things that we would not have otherwise. We are financially stable with money in the bank and we get to experience a whole different country and culture on their dime.
  12. A car – We didn’t have a car for the first month that we were in Okinawa, and that really sucked. It was probably one of the worst times of my life because it made the transition of living here 100% more difficult. I am thankful to have not only 1 car, but 2 cars which are both really nice!
  13. Myah – I was hesitant about getting a dog at first but I am thankful that we got Myah. We got lucky with her because she’s a really good dog (don’t mind that she chewed up one of my new candles the other night)!
  14. Amazon.com – This site is amazing. It pretty much has everything we need and it’s one of the few sites that ships here super quick. I am also thankful for my Amazon Prime account, especially when I lived in the states for the free 2 day shipping. I miss that so much!
  15. AF Wingmoms – This facebook page is truly a blessing from God. They help families who have an Airman in Basic Training. I met some very wonderful people through our Flight group who will remain forever friends.
  16. Snail Mail & 15 minute phone calls – I’m wrapping this all up in one but I am thankful for these 2 things especially when Chad was in basic training. I wrote a letter every day for 60 days and I lived for those 15 minute phone calls every single week. Not knowing when he would call was horrible anxiety but I am thankful for when my phone rang.
  17. Skype/Facetime – The technology of video calling these days is amazing. It helped me stay connected with Chad while he was at tech school & now it’s helping me stay connected with family and friends back home
  18. Facebook – I will admit I am totally addicted to Facebook but that’s just because it keeps everyone connected! It’s nice to have a place to share stories and pictures with people that you know!
  19. iPhones – Even though I totally was an avid Droid user before moving, I am now thankful for iPhones. I have the ability to text & facetime other iPhone users for absolutely free (without the use of a stupid app), which has made staying in touch with family and friends so much easier. I am thankful that my Mom, Chad’s Dad, and Brittany all invested in iPhones!
  20. Crockpot – Chad and I make so many of our meals in the crockpot and each one is delicious! It makes dinner so easy! I am also thankful for Crockpot Liners because they make clean up that much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment