Thursday, April 26, 2012

This is just the beginning

I think Basic Military Training (BMT) is as much for the service members as it is for the spouses and families back home. It teaches you a lot of things, not only about the military but about yourself. Chad left for BMT on February 14, 2012. It was a very hard emotional day. Chad had to stay in a hotel the night before he shipped out and go to MEPS early to do some processing. I went to MEPS in the morning to see him take his oath. After that, we headed to the airport to wait around for hours before his plane took off. Tip for anyone that may have to go through this in the future, get a gate pass from the airline! It will allow you to wait at the gate with your military member until they have to board the plane! I don't think very many families knew about this because we were 1 of 2 families that waited with our Airman. There was all this anticipation building up to the moment that he had to leave. It was hard to hear that his plane was going to start boarding, it was hard having to give him that last hug, it was hard leaving him not knowing when I would hear from him next. It's hard.



Waiting in the Airport before he shipped out!

I was told that I would get a call within the first 72 hours. This call is suppose to be a scripted call where Chad would just have enough time to read off his address and hang up. I was nervous for this call to come because I knew it was going to be hard to not be able to talk to him and I wanted to make sure I got his address correct. His recruiter gave me an address template to fill in the blanks, since their address are very long. I literally carried this piece of paper, a pen, and my phone around with me for 3 days straight. I was coaching Cheerleading at a time and I remember on that Saturday, we had a competiton and I was SO nervous he was going to call while my team was out on the floor. I would of freaked. That never did happen. I actually never got the call within the first 72 hours! I tried to remember, no news is good news, but it was so hard! I worry. I worry a lot. I didn't get my first phone call until Sunday (he left on a Tuesday). It wasn't the scripted call; I actually got to talk to him for a full 15 minutes! His flight didn't get the scripted address call, they were told that they don't do that anymore. Which is a lie. After that Sunday, I was on cloud 9. I could finally relax, I was happy to know things were ok. I was happy to have his address! I had been writing him a letter a day since the day he left and didn't have his address to send them to him. I think he got about 15 letters the first time that he got mail!

If you know someone that is leaving soon for the Air Force, get their family connected to AF WingMoms on facebook. It is AMAZING! That facebook page got me through the 8.5 weeks of basic training. They create discussion groups for the different flights. Once you know your Airman's address, you know their flight, so you can join the specific group. You get to meet other family members who have an Airman at basic training in the same flight as yours! I met some really amazing people in that group and we still talk even though our Airman have graduated basic. AF WingMoms also has a TON of information about basic training and the graduation weekend events. Like I said, it's amazing! I feel bad for people that don't know about it and have to go through the journey alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment